Thursday, April 3, 2014

Welcome to Alaska

Well, after a LONG two flights from SLC to Anchorage, I made it to Alaska! Okay, so the flights weren’t THAT long, but they felt especially long.
 The sun was setting and it was beautiful! I had forgotten HOW beautiful Alaska truly is. When people ask me to explain Alaska, I just say it’s a mix of the Utah dryness and mountains, and the green trees and forests of Virginia. I took a lot of pictures from the car to capture the beauty. Here are a few:




 Aren't those just gorgeous?! Especially these last few I took when I took a scenic drive a couple days ago.



I also have had the pleasure of hanging with my former roommate Leanne and her husband Rob! They are the epitome of AWESOME. I loved hanging with them and Leanne's family. Leanne, Rob, Julie (Leanne's mom) and I played cards for hours--til it was past midnight and I was exhausted. But I had so much fun. Since then Leanne has had her baby boy James (9 lbs 2 oz). And I can't WAIT to meet him. He's adorable in pictures, and he's gotta be such a little stud already with Rob and Leanne as parents :)



I also started my internship at Covenant House Alaska, and am almost 2 weeks in! I absolutely love it. It is like a dream job, except I’m not getting paid… :) I don’t mind that most days. But my internship is awesome. I work with the Director of Development, Donor Relations, and the Special Events Coordinator. I pretty much do whatever I’m asked to do. But so far, it’s included the following: 

- Re-wrote donor thank you letter template
- Design flyers
- Donor relations
- Create a media/press kit
- Research for upcoming events
- Use Excel to create training plans
- Help carry out “thank you” day for our team
- Design infographics for upcoming events
and getting acquainted with the staff, volunteers and the new facility

These pictures are from our "thank you" day where my department put on a breakfast, brunch, and lunch for all the staff and volunteers to thank them for their help in putting on events and making Covenant House Alaska so successful!



I've also been spending a lot of time with the family I'm living with. Rob is my mom's cousin, and his wife Karen is AWESOME. They have two kids at home: John and Emily, and two kids who live close by: Lee and Madison. I learned to play Blokus and got creamed the first time I played! I am so determined to never lose again that I bought the Blokus app for my iphone.... I'm desperate ;)

I've spent a lot of time trying new food: Caribou and Halibut and even eating things like peppers, onions, and celery (things I would've never eaten!) and getting acquainted with how people and things are in Alaska. 
 I even had the chance to do Emily's hair for prom one night, and this was the result.... Impressed? ;)


 She was GORGEOUS!

So 2 weeks down, 8 to go. It's gonna be awesome:) I'm loving it already, it's just gotta get better and better :)

- J

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I'm super impressed, that hair looks gorg! You are so cool and Alaska looks so pretty and it sounds like you're having a great time. Also your internship sounds awesome. Miss you and I hope everything keeps going great :)

    ReplyDelete