Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Advice For College

I was looking through my OLD OLD blog and found a post where I asked for advice when I was heading to college... Look at these awesome responses:
 
Aubrey said...
Take advantage of your professor's office hours! They have office hours to help students succeed, so don't be afraid to go get help if you need it. I often could get all the one-on-one help I needed during office hours because it seems like very few students use them. Student teaching assistants are great too. When I was TA, I loved helping students! I sometimes felt badly when students came after doing poorly on a homework or test when I knew I could have helped them if they had come earlier.
August 11, 2008 9:40 AM
Delete
Blogger the Ricks said...
Um, my advice is to read the email of advice I already sent you! :)
August 13, 2008 8:01 AM
Delete
Blogger Cara and Barry said...
My one regret from my time at BYU was that I didn't get more involved. I mean, I worked and had a busy calling and did my school work. But I wish I would have taken advantage of some of the clubs and service groups and things like that. Done something more meaningful. You know? Even if I just explore my talents and interests more. So that's my advice. Be involved. And don't waste time. There is so much great stuff to do there. Wasting time (watching tv too much or surfing the internet or sleeping or whatever) is the worst habit to get into. Okay. So that's all my advice. Except this...have fun! :)
August 13, 2008 1:13 PM
Delete
Blogger Babydoll said...
Make sure you come to some compromise with your roommates at the VERY beginning. I got along really great with most of my roommates, but one just kept crazy hours, and I had a hard time getting any sleep. We ended up fighting a lot before coming to a compromise. It would have made things easier if we figured it out in the beginning. Also, NO MATTER WHAT, don't stop reading your scriptures. Even during finals week and busy times. It is so easy to get out of the habit! Boston
August 14, 2008 2:18 PM
Delete
Blogger steph said...
I would also suggest taking advantage of your teacher's office hours. It is very helpful to have personal feedback from your teacher. It will improve your grades and make you more of a somebody in the class. I always found I did better in a class where the teacher knew me. Get involved. Go to performances and things on campus and take others with you. It helps you de-stress and it supports all the people who work so hard for their performances/shows. Don't feel like you have to have a major right away. Take a variety of classes to find what you like. Sometimes you'll find something you really like in what you never expected. I also suggest not worrying too much about getting married/having a boyfriend. There will be a lot of girls in a sort of competition to get a bf or get married... don't get involved with it. Just have fun with friends, go on dates, and just be your best self. It will come in due time. I noticed that when I let go of the worry, the thing I wanted to happen, happened. Be creative. Don't feel like you have to spend money to have fun. Brainstorm with people to come up with some fun activities/ group dates. It is easy to get discouraged in school, but you don't have to be. Make sure you are doing all those things that keep you spiritually strong. Don't weaken your standards because people around you do. Look for positive influences and avoid negative ones. Find ways you can improve each day. You may not get perfect grades but if you just try to learn as much as you can, it won't matter what grade you get (well for the most part) because you will have learned & changed from it. and Don't forget you are a cherished daughter of God and that he loves you! Remember you have a work to do in this life and that the experiences you experience are there so you can use them to help others and bring them closer to Christ (as well as yourself. I wish you the best of luck! College is so fun. You'll love it!
August 17, 2008 3:39 PM
Delete
Babydoll said...

No dating returned missionaries!! Uncle Steve (using Babydoll's account)
 
 
Gotta love family! So, to all my family members reading this- I love you. Thank you for everything! For looking out for me, for keeping me in your prayers- for your support and love. You're amazing. Truly. Thank you for never giving up on me! 

Anyways, that's all for now. More confessions to come!

- J

No comments:

Post a Comment